Calling All Maketeers!
Our Maketeer Program is for people who want to be a part of a community and offer their skills and expertise to support the space. The program is designed to train and develop Maketeers in each area of the shop.
Our maketeers have a variety of backgrounds and expertise. No experience is necessary, but you will need:
- A willingness to greet and support members and visitors with a positive attitude.
- Respect for boundaries; asking if people want support or advice before offering it.
- Skills in listening to others and providing what is needed.
- A professional level of integrity: being on-time, dress in a way that represents the business
What the program entails
- Weekly shifts: Maketeers have a minimum commitment of 4 hours per week, for a 3-month agreement. (Typically we schedule the same 4 hour shift each week, but we can make other arrangements by request.)
- Regular schedule: Maketeers schedule themselves out the full 3 months of their agreement, and agree to replace themselves with another maketeer if they have a scheduling conflict.
- All-team call: Maketeers attend (remotely via Zoom, or in person at the space) the weekly all-team call Mondays 7:00-8pm, or watch the Critical Takeaways video each week to stay connected and informed.
Every maketeer’s shift is a little bit different and we try to pair up maketeers with tasks that fit their interests and skills. Beyond specific projects, maketeers are responsible for:
- Opening or closing the space for the day
- Answering the makerspace phone
- Answering the doorbell
- Working on projects to support shop maintenance
- Basic clean up and tidying of the space
- Providing basic customer service to members and guests. This includes helping members find tools or supplies, and answering questions about how the space works.
- Helping folks with their projects. We try to pair up members with maketeers who have expertise relevant areas.
What Maketeers get
We are so grateful to our maketeers for volunteering their time and knowledge to help the makerspace community grow and thrive. We thank our team by providing each maketeer with:
- A free membership to Seattle Makers including a $120 machine time credit to use on your personal projects
- Training on the makerspace, the maketeer program, and FAQs
- Free certifications on all our fabrication machines
- Free access to our monthly maketeer team outing. We’ve visited the top of the Space Needle, broken out of an escape room, toured the Living Computer Museum, and more!
We are out to create a world-class makerspace and we need your help! We ask all our maketeers to agree to the following:
- I will be on time for any agreements, well fed and ready for action.
- I will keep my word.
- I will call as soon as I know that I have a scheduling conflict, and take action to replace myself.
- I am an ambassador for Seattle Makers, and will dress and behave in a way that represents the business as professional and awesome.
- I will wear my nametag during my maketeer shifts
- I will not gossip. Gossip is diminishing someone in the listening of others. If I have an issue with anyone in the space I will bring it directly to the person who can make a difference.
- I will be responsible for machine time and material purchases being complete before members leave.
- Everyone in the space puts safety first on my watch.
- I will inquire, inspect, interrupt, and instruct members so they use all tools safely.
- I will ask “may I offer something?” before offering advice or suggestions, unless it is a matter of safety.
- I will complete all my relevant checklists during my shift and communicate all discrepancies
- I will continue to stretch my comfort level
If you’re interested in applying to the Maketeer Program, fill out and submit the form below and we’ll contact you about your application.